Monday, October 19, 2015

FEATURED WRITER OF THE WEEK: CASSANDRA DALLETT

Big Black Buck

Eating noodle soup under the TV
a black man’s murder looping and looping through the meal
I am not brainwashed enough
not immune to this inoculation
every murder a loss no matter how they point to criminality.

We walk the lake under confusing sky
sunshine glaring between dark clouds
blowing by surprisingly fast rain then shine
then shining in rain I yell, “where is the rainbow”
two sisters on a bench smile all dazzling teeth and natural hair
cubes of buildings hug the choppy lake
and blush flowers hug the Masonic buildings.

The wind has pushed pools of green sludge to the sides
and I wonder at the spectacle, the piles of black bodies
we witness, and witness, stew into a frenzy but cannot stop
Broadcasting photos of Kenyan students face down bullet ridden
like the boy on the news will not bring them back or honor life
it will not help the mainstream to see this is deliberate.

This barrage of bodies, the reading of autopsies, the dissection of black flesh
are they always surprised at the pink humanity revealed
we all bleed the same but we don’t die the same
heaping holocaust piles of black bodies inhabit the news
if they are reported at all
those students barely made the evening rundown
the news channels too busy repeating themselves
about fallen planes full of white folks
burning up the Swiss alps.

Broke on Valentines

There was Dre
but we broke up every week
me shrieking and smashing glass
silently crushing me

There was Anthony
who stomped me into the Emergency room
because I didn’t tell him
I was throwing a gum wrapper out the window
for his passenger
at least that was the only reason I ever heard
before his voice turned into monster
and he chased me down
his full weight pushing my face into the ground
still I cried when February 14th rolled around
him in jail and me alone  
too bruised up to date

Dre resurfaced only to rip me off
in some phony check scam
he needed studio time for his budding rap career

After that would come Vano
he was in Prison every Valentines day and all the holidays
and I was in furlough on gun charges by the end
of me and him I fled the state

Back East Valentines day my lovers spent with real girlfriends
Steve Lee was the first one I called my own
mostly I was drunk-tripping filling his mouth with words
my paranoid mind could pick a fight with
him just young wanting to drink with his friends
but I would not be seconded by Crazy Horse and them
so I left him for Johnny Walker

John was older a more vetted alcoholic than Steve
we flirted before Christmas and fucked by New Years Eve
snuck around till I couldn’t keep the secret
moved him in
in a mess of fist fights and knives thrown
cops called and my head split open by the cordless phone

Bleeding for it I fought John constantly
and unlike Steve he didn’t hesitate to hit back
my forehead opened on the damned door jamb
I threw the iron and hammered out his windshield
while he tried to run me over
and we were done    before Valentines

Again I ate my heart out
a paper box red and empty
I cried into forty ounces of beer

I didn’t have another man till JB
back in Cali knocked up round and horny
he slid though late nights off the block and hopped up
speed balls snorted off my dinner plates
his slim frame chocolate lean
needle pin eyes gravel throat drawl
they call that heron dick
and we could fuck all night long

He got back out of jail when my son just made one
and paroled straight over to my place
after all the money was spent and job lost
the hustle ground us down
my jealousy about losing him back to the streets
he was gone by MLK Day
my head reopened with the same ass phone
he took the car and all the shit he’d given
left me      stripped down and starving
the sky relentless   like my tears    in the year of El Nino
Valentine’s Day rained down
found me broke and alone
walking home soaked to the bone.




Cassandra Dallett lives in Oakland, CA. Cassandra is a Pushcart nominee and reads often around the San Francisco Bay Area. She was the winner of the March 2015 Literary Death Match. In addition to six chapbooks, she has published online and in many print magazines and anthologies such as Slip Stream, Sparkle and Blink, The Bicycle Review, Chiron Review, This Is Poetry: Women of The Small Press. A full-length book of poetry, Wet Reckless was released to good reviews, from Manic D Press May of 2014. A new book Bad Sandy will be released on Dangerous Hair Press in spring of 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment