Tuesday, August 2, 2016

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Getting to know J Matthew McKern

Tell us a bit about yourself and your background 

I’m from Walla Walla, Washington—home of the Quicksilver Vacuum Cleaner Company and ACME Manufacturing. You get here by taking a wrong turn at Albuquerque. I really am from Walla Walla, but we’re better known for wine and onions than vacuum cleaners, to be honest. 

I was a fine-arts major with a creative writing minor—ish. Didn’t complete the minor because I took classes I really wanted to take. So careless of me. 

What kind of writing do you do? 

I write fiction. I’m primarily interested in writing for middle-grade readers and the YA audience. I’m also the Managing Editor of the Oddville Press. 

When did writing become something you wanted to throw yourself into?

When my daughter was born, we decided a house that smelled constantly of oil paint and turpentine might not be the best thing. I had recently made the acquaintance of an author named Patrick Carman. He had recently published the first of 30-some books and watching his career unfold inspired me. I’d always felt my paintings had a “narrative problem” and writing turned out to be a way to let the narrative run free. 

When did you feel confident enough in your writing to unveil it to the public? 

Too early. I’m not shy, and having an art background, I was interested in gathering feedback. The copy editors among us will understand. 

Tell us a bit about your most recently published book. 

The last book I released was Raven’s Secret—a YA title. My characters were inspired in several ways. I’m from a small town (as previously mentioned) and I’ve always been fascinated by urban environments. Raven’s Secret was inspired in part by a trip to Hong Kong, trips to Seattle (where the book is set), and the urge to create characters with hidden secrets. I may or may not be related to the actor, Leo McKern (The Beatles “Help,” Blue Lagoon, Ladshawke, and Rumpole of the Bailey) who may or may not have inspired a certain character in Raven’s Secret


What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?

My latest book is in Beta. It’s a ghost story, of sorts, inspired by a trip to an old sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that had been abandoned for decades before having been refurbished. The hard thing for me is sorting through the ideas, sticking to the outline, and not allowing my mind to run away with itself. I’m not about writers’ block; I have too many ideas rather than too few. 

Do you draw from personal experience while writing?

As you can see from my previous answers, yes. I do. Though my books tend towards the fantastic, they’re grounded in experience.

Who are some of your literary and poetic influences?

I was a fan of John Irving’s work, from The World According to Garp to A Widow For One Year. In the realm of poetry, I was a fan of e.e. cummings, T.S. Elliot and perhaps other poets who go by their initials. When I was studying poetry, I was into the abstract. 

Have you read any good books lately that you'd recommend to other readers?

Lately, I’ve been reading Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. Ransom Riggs has a fun voice. I’m having a great time experiencing a children’s book written for teens. 

Do you have any current works in progress or ready for publication?

I’m working on a book entitled Matchstick. It’s a supernatural story for teens. The ideas came from visiting a former sanatorium where tuberculosis patients had been treated from the late 1800s through the 1930s. It had been standing empty for decades, inhabited mostly by birds. An artist had begun converting it into a hotel. It was halfway completed when we stayed there. The following day, I learned it was listed in the 100 most haunted motels. Great inspiration. 

What advice would you give aspiring writers and authors?

Read—as often as possible. Write as often as you can. Write journals, lists of ideas, and conversations you find interesting. Find your voice.  

Where can readers view your writing? Where can they purchase copies of your published work?  


No comments:

Post a Comment